Sunday, September 2, 2007

Foolishness of my ways

So here I sit at 3:15 AM having just come off a 3-11 shift and having to work a 7-3 shift which requires me to get up in another two hours................Wondering to myself about the error of my ways in my youth. Possibly I should have been a little more frugal with my money, not run those charge cards sky high, not purchased a different vehicle every year and definitely not spent all of my retirement money from the PD in Florida on the move to New Mexico........I could be drawing my social security now and working part time for a little additional income and to cover the cost of private insurance for a couple of years until I qualify for Medicare.......But instead I am working a turn around shift at the end of a six day run and listening to all the BS that gets dished out in a small department. I have a supervisor who is really a nice person, but having been with the department for 25 years, is set in her ways and refuses to work any weekends. She also doesn't cover when someone is out sick or on vacation. This necessitates the changing of our work schedule practically on a weekly basis. I worked the same shift with the same days off for 8 years before moving and could plan appointments weeks in advance. And, no, this isn't sour grapes....just my middle of the night shoulda/coulda/woulda ! I am sure when today is over and I have my two days off things will look brighter........

One of my best friends (who also happens to be my holistic veterinarian from Florida) is coming to visit this month. I am really looking forward to this. She is looking for property out here and is checking out the Santa Fe/Taos area on this trip. We are meeting her in Santa Fe and bringing her back to our area for a six day visit. We haven't really planned any side trips for this visit so it should be interesting. She is in Lexington KY over the Labor Day weekend for a dog show that she attends each year. She is the show vet on call. She had a practice in Paris KY before moving to Florida. Great person and super doctor.....

No news on the move to the mountain. No one has looked at our house in a couple of weeks and we are striking out finding an affordable place on the mountain. My husband looked at 4 places while I was working yesterday and didn't even bother getting out of the car at 3 of them. One was so overgrown that he couldn't get to it and another would have required a person to have mountain goat blood to get up the driveway. Maybe I'll just buy a lottery ticket this week!!

3 comments:

FifiFiveThousand said...

It's one of the greatest feelings when a best friend comes to stay.
I've been lucky to have mine, Lori, come to stay with us quite a few times over the years. I went out to San Francisco to see her too. She put me up in her foxxy little apartment just a stone's throw from the Haight Ashbury district - she lives on Haight Street afterall! For a whole week she accomodated me, all the while being a schoolteacher, AND taking a couple of days off to spend with me. It was very very special. We went to see U2 - something that we used to do in our 20's!
I totally get yer meanin' on the coulda woulda shoulda. Wish I'd finished college. It's a major regret in life (amoung many).

TUFFENUF said...

Ah! hell! We all have those kinds of regrets - I try not to dwell on them. You are lucky to have your health and when you get too old to work, we will all team up and live in my travel trailer (paid for) and camp out every night and realize my dream of seeing the Grand Canyon! Keep the faith, the best is yet to come.

Motherkitty said...

Hello, out on the mountain from your pal in Kentucky. Thanks for stopping by today. I see you have been posting about as much as I have lately. But, things are looking up in that area.

It's funny that you mention your vet friend is from KY. I used to live in Lexington and have been to Paris (KY not France). Hope you had a nice visit and that work is easing up some.

I know what you mean about pressure from work and wishing you could just retire. I had wanted to work until I could no longer work but my retirement decision was made for me by administration who decided that I about about 20 others didn't need their jobs anymore. So, they just eliminated our jobs and out the door we went. I got on disability and have been enjoying it ever since. Your time will come.